The MAP International Music Competition (MAP-IMC) is a global leading online music competition presented by the MARKER AND PIONEER International Culture Exchange Center (MAP-ICEC), a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization headquartered in Los Angeles, California, USA. The competition is held each year. The contest is open to FREE preliminary applications for music players, music learners, and music lovers of any nationality and age throughout the global area. The competition is divided into music categories such as piano, string, wind, vocal, and chamber music. Each instrument subject will be judged in groups based on the age of the contestants.
In 2023, the Composition category is added to the MAP International Music Competition.
The MAP-IMC aims to encourage the healthy growth of young and professional musicians in the field of musical learning and performance. It also encourages the participation of music educators with positive rules and promotes music education with competitions. We believe that the competition will bring benefits to contestants and their instructors, and also provide them with an international platform to present their talents and help them build confidence and even realize their dreams. Our goal is to find musical artists and music educators with outstanding personalities and provide awards to help them develop international careers.
We firmly believe that, in addition to strict training and natural talents, through the competition, we will also find musicians with strong artistic personalities and stage images. The purpose of the MAP International Music Competition is to find talented musicians who have reached a professional level and help them to be a part of the international stage.
The Composition Competition at MAP-IMC 2023 is divided into preliminary and final (a total of two rounds). Composers are required to submit video/audio and score materials for preliminary application with Free Entry. The final selection of the winners is based solely on the same video materials submitted in the preliminary contest. Multiple winners will be selected for each age group.
Countries represented by the Finalists at MAP-IMC 2021/22
Competition Schedule: (North America Pacific Time Zone)
Preliminary Round Application Deadline: March 10, 2023（extended to March 20, 2023）
Finalist Announcement Date: March 30, 2023
Final Round Application Deadline: April 10, 2023
Final Results & Rewards Announcement Date: May 20, 2023
- Composition for Solo Instrument/Voice
- Composition for Chamber Music
Age Groups & Programs Duration: (composer’s actual age calculated by the deadline for the preliminary application date: March 10, 2023)
- Under 12 Years Old: up to 3 min
- 13-17 Years Old: up to 5 min
- 18-23 Years Old: up to 8 min
- 23 Years Old and Up: up to 12 min
Competition Rules & Prizes
The MAP-IMC Comprises 2 Rounds (Online)
I. Competition Format
Composition competition participants are required to visit the MAP-IMC’s Official Website and fill in the preliminary round application form on the “Composition Free Application” page, submitting a performance video/audio-only recording link of their music composition with uploading the score. This contest accepts links to major global video websites: YouTube and Vimeo, *contestants in Mainland China region can also upload videos to BiliBili or Youku.
Please be sure to fully comply with the “Requirements for Qualifying Preliminary Round” to demonstrate the respect of the participants to the international jury. If there is a situation that does not comply with the following rules, participants will automatically lose their qualifications for the final round.
[Requirements of Qualifying for the Preliminary Round]:
- The entry composition works must be created and uploaded within 12 months before the participant’s application date.
- The recording link(s) of different music pieces can be spliced into one link or one playlist.
- The link must be set up as “unlisted” or “visible to the public”.
- Please indicate the following content in English:MAP-IMC 2023, Participant’s (composer’s) name, full name(s) of work(s), composition date, and a brief description of the work in English in the description column of the video link.
- Upload your work’s notation in the preliminary round application form.
Final (Voluntary Application Based on Approved Invitation)
Only the contestants selected in the qualifying round (preliminary round) are entitled to advance to the final round.
Participants who are allowed to advance will use the same work submitted during the preliminary round as the content for the final round.
The selected finalists will receive an email invitation containing instructions on how to apply for the final round. Email invitations will be sent on the Finalist Announcement Date of the Competition Schedule section.
Applicants for the finals are required to use the link to complete the Final Application Steps before the deadline for the application for the final round:
- Pay forthe final application fee via a secure payment link through the MAP Official Website.
- Fill out the Final Application Form by uploading the following items: an electronic high-quality personal photo, a personal biography, and a scanned copy of personal identification (such as a personal passport or ID card).
Final application fee details:
Finalists whose work(s) in performance video link(s) are also submitted by performers to enroll in MAP-IMC 2023
Final application fee: USD $29
Finalists whose work(s) in performance video or audio-only link(s) did not enroll in MAP-IMC 2023
Final application fee: USD $39
*The final application fee is non-refundable one-time voluntary payment, including domestic/international transaction fees. Participants should submit proof of payment by the deadline for applications.
*Minors’ guardians need to sign a separate notice of “Allowing the Competition Organizer to Use Minors’ Names on Websites and Social Media” to allow the MAP-IMC to publish awards and personal images, video materials, and biography on major social media platforms around the world.
II.Jury & Placing System
The MAP-IMC 2023 is honored to have an international jury composed of world-renowned concert artists, musicians, music educators, and professors from internationally renowned music education institutions, including former Jury Chair of Pulitzer Prize for Music, current Grammy Award Winners, and Steinway Artists. For details of the current judging members, please click the “Current Jury” page of the MAP-IMC’s official website.
Each jury score will be evaluated through the materials presented by each participant. The final selection of winners will be based solely on the materials submitted. Judges should be independent. The judges’ votes remain strictly confidential and will not be shared or published. All Jury decisions will be final and irrevocable.
Each jury member gives points (0-25) evaluating the materials to the following criteria: notation (0-5), form (0-5), melody and harmonic (0-5), rhythm (0-5), and invention (0-5). The final score will be the average of the scores given by the individual members of each jury.
The prizes are given according to the following table:
Grand Prix: 25 points
1st Prize: 23-24 points
2nd Prize: 20-22 points
3rd Prize: 17-19 points
Honorable Mention: 14-16 points
Finalist Certificate: under 14 points
III.Certificates & Recommendation Letters
All award certificates of the competition will be able to download in PDF format at MAP’s official website after the Final Results & Awards Announcement Date.
Those participants who have advanced to the final round of the MAP-IMC at least three (3) times with three (3) works in different styles will have the opportunity to obtain a letter of recommendation written by professors from internationally renowned music education institutions for colleges or university application.
IV.Prizes & Awards
- The “MAP-IMC Grand Prix” will be awarded to the winner(s) earning a total score of 25 points, with a cash award of USD $200/person.
- 1stPrize Winners will be awarded one one-year membership of MASTERCLASS.COM (valued at $180).
- Selected outstanding winners’ works of the “MAP-IMC Grand Prix” and the 1stPrize will have the opportunity to be performed in the concert performances of internationally renowned music schools/music festivals in the following academic year.
- All participants at MAP-IMC 2023 will receive a free online complimentary course with a selection of Masterclasses and courses offered by iClassical Academy (valued at $150).
- All First, Second, and Third Prize winners aged over 12 years old will receive a three to six months all-access free subscription offered by iClassical Academy (valued at $144).
- For those prize winners aged under 12 years old, their instructors will receive a three-month all-access free subscription offered by iClassical Academy (valued at $144).
- The Grand Prix, First Prize, Second Prize, Third Prize, Honorable Mentioned, and Finalist certificates will be awarded to the winners of each category. *Further documentary Certificate Statements from the MAP-IMC 2023 Committee could be offered by request.
- All finalists’ instructors/institutionswill receive the “Honorable Instructor/Institution” certificate.
- The instructor with the largest number of students advanced andregistered for the final round will receive the Certificate of “The Outstanding Instructor Award”, the winner of “The Outstanding Instructor Award” for three consecutive competitions will be eligible to join the international jury
- The institutionwith the largest number of students advanced and registered for the final round will receive the Certificate of “The Outstanding Institution Award”, the winner of “The Outstanding Institution Award” for three consecutive competitions will be invited to sign the Educational Partnership with MAP to open up educational projects.
- Photos, resumes, and videos of the winners will be published on the MAP’s official social media platforms around the world.
- Our goal is to provide continuous support to the winners to help them promote and develop their music study and career in international performance stages.
V. Special Thanks To Our Supporters:
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA
OLYMPIA YOUTH ORCHESTRA
LOS ANGELES YOUNG VIRTUOSO INTERNATIONAL MUSIC FESTIVAL
CALIFORNIA INTERNATIONAL MUSIC FESTIVAL & MUSIC EDUCATION CONFERENCE
JUST TOUR INTERNATIONAL