The MAP International Music Competition (MAP-IMC) is a global leading online music competition presented by the MARKER AND PIONEER International Culture Exchange Center (MAP-ICEC), a non-profit organization headquartered in Los Angeles, California, USA. The competition is held two sessions each year. The contest is open to FREE preliminary applications for music players, music learners and music lovers of any nationality and age throughout the global area. The competition is divided into music categories such as piano, string, wind, vocal and chamber music. Each instrument subject will be judged in groups based on the age of the contestants.
Regarding to the 1st MAP-IMC in 2021, the competition obtained the basic statistics as below:
1. By Aug 11, 2021, the deadline of Free Entry, the MAP-IMC 2021 received 1100 applications from all over the world;
2. By Aug 25, 2021, the MAP-IMC 2021 sent out 947 finalist invitations after reviewing all first-round application submissions;
3. By Sep 2, 2021, the MAP-IMC 2021 received 692 confirmed final-round applications, which represented over 66 countries throughout the whole world.
4. By Sep 30, 2021, the MAP-IMC 2021 awarded 10 Grand Prix winners and 94 First Prize winners who have represented over 32 countries in the global area.
5. By Oct 15, 2021, the total value of awards at MAP-IMC 2021 exceeds $65,000 including cash reward, valued masterclasses and online studying resources sponsored by our educational partners.
The MAP-IMC is divided into preliminary and final (total of two rounds). Participants are required to submit video materials for preliminary application with FREE ENTRY. The final selection of the winners is based solely on the same video materials submitted in the preliminary contest. Multiple winners will be selected for each age group.
The MAP-IMC aims to encourage the healthy growth of young and professional musicians in the field of musical learning and performance. It also encourages the participation of music educators with positive rules and promotes music education with competitions. We believe that the competition will bring benefits to contestants and their instructors, and also provide them with an international platform to present their talents and help them build confidence even realize their dreams. Our goal is to find musical artists and musical educators with outstanding personalities and provide awards to help them develop international careers.
We firmly believe that, in addition to strict training and natural talents, through the competition, we will also find performers with strong artistic personality and stage image. The purpose of the MAP International Music Competition is to find talented music performers who have reached a professional level and help them to be a part of the international stage.
Countries represented by the Finalists at MAP-IMC 2021
Competition Schedule: (North America Pacific Time Zone)
Preliminary Round Application Deadline: April 25, 2022
Finalist Announcement Date: May 10, 2022
Final Round Application Deadline: May 15, 2022
Final Results & Rewards Announcement Date: May 30, 2022
Chamber Group Category:
Preliminary Round Application Deadline: May 15, 2022
Finalist Announcement Date: May 30, 2022
Final Round Application Deadline: June 5, 2022
Final Results & Rewards Announcement Date: June 20, 2022
Instrumental / Vocal Categories:
1.Keyboards: Piano, Accordion, Pipe Organ
2.Strings: Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Guitar, Harp
3.Woodwinds: Flute (including Piccolo), Oboe (including English Horn), Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophone, Chromatic Harmonica
4.Brass: Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba
5.Percussions: Marimba, Xylophone, Timpani, Snare Drum, Jazz Drum, Setup, Drum Set, Hands-percussion
6.Piano Four Hands
7.Classical Voice: Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Baritone, Bass
8.Commercial Voice: Songs from Musical Theatre, Jazz, Pop Music
9.Chamber Music (including instrument ensemble and singing groups): Duo, Trio, Quartet, Quintet, String ensemble, Wind ensemble, Brass ensemble, Chamber Choir Group
Choose one or more music pieces from the following musical periods below:
I. Baroque (1600-1750)
II. Classical (1750-1820)
III. Romantic (1800-1910)
IV. Modern Classical / Commercial Music (up to present time)
Age Groups & Programs Duration:
(actual age calculated by the deadline for the preliminary application date: April 25, 2022)
a. Under 5 Years Old (e.g. born on or after April 25, 2017): up to 5 min
b. 5-7 Years Old: up to 5 min
c. 8-10 Years Old: up to 6 min
d. 11-13 Years Old: up to 7 min
e. 14-16 Years Old: up to 8 min
f. 17-19 Years Old: up to 10 min
g. 20-22 Years Old: up to 12 min
h. 23 Years Old and Up: (e.g. born on or before April 25, 1999): up to 15 min
[Chamber Groups, the average age of group members]
A. Under 12 Years Old: up to 5 min
B. 13-17 Years Old: up to 8 min
C. 18-22 Years Old: up to 12 min
D. 23 Years Old and Up: up to 15 min
Competition Rules & Prizes
The MAP-IMC Comprises 2 Rounds (Online)
I. Competition Format
Preliminary (FREE ENTRY)
Participants are required to visit the official website of MAP-IMC and fill in the preliminary round application form on the “Free Application” page, submitting a video recording link of their music performance. This contest accepts links to major global video websites: YouTube, Vimeo, *contestants in Mainland China region can also upload videos to BiliBili or Youku.
Please be sure to fully comply with the “Video Requirements for Qualifying Preliminary Round” to demonstrate the respect of the participants to the international jury. If there is a situation that does not comply with the following rules, participants will automatically lose their qualifications for the final round.
[Video Requirements for Qualifying the Preliminary Round]:
- The entry video must be created and uploaded within 12 months before the participant’s application date.
- The recorded video is required to be performed by the applicant. Except for the accompaniment parts, the video should not contain noisy background sounds. The player’s face and the parts of the body used to play the instrument must be clearly visible in the video. *Audio-only links are not accepted for this competition.
- The videos of different music pieces can be spliced into one video link, but the video of a single musicpiece CANNOT be edited, and NO effects can be added.
- The uploaded video link must be set up as “unlisted” or “visible to the public”.
- The introduction or description column of the video link must clearly indicate the following content in English: MAP-IMC 2022, Participant’s name, instrument category, age group, composer(s) and full name(s) of work(s).
- *For Commercial Voice participants: please indicate the following content in English: MAP-IMC 2022, Participant’s name, instrument category, age group, composer(s) and full name(s) of work(s), original lyrics AND the translation in English in the description column of the video link.
Final (Voluntary Application Based on Approved Invitation)
Only the contestants selected in the qualifying round (preliminary round) are entitled to advance to the final round.
Participants who are allowed to advance will use the same work submitted during the preliminary round as the content for the final round.
The selected finalists will receive an email invitation containing instructions on how to apply for the final round. Email invitations will be sent on the Finalist Announcement Date of the Competition Schedule section. PLEASE CHECK SPAM BOX on your mailbox, sometimes the mail sent by our system will be regarded as spam by the email service provider, the official system email address is email@example.com, and PLEASE DO NOT reply that automatic email 🙂 .
Applicants for the finals are required to use the link from email to complete the Final Application Steps before the deadline of the application for the final round:
- Pay for the final application fee via a security payment link through MAP Official Website.
- Fill out the Final Application Form with uploading the following items: an electronic high-quality personal photo, a personal biography, and a scanned copy of personal identification (such as a personal passport or ID card).
Final application fee details:
1.Soloist finals application fee: USD $90/person
2.Chamber Group finals application fee (2-4 persons): USD $55/person X the number of persons
3.Chamber Group finals application fee (over 5-person ensemble): USD $280/group
4.*Piano Accompanist Certificate can be ordered by request via an additional payment: $20/person
*The final application fee is a non-refundable one-time voluntary payment, which has included domestic/international transaction fee. Participants should submit the proof of the payment by the deadline of the final application.
*Minors’ guardians need to sign a separate notice of “Allowing the Competition Organizer to Use Minors’ Names on Websites and Social Media” to allow the MAP-IMC to publish awards and personal images, video materials, and biography on major social media platforms around the world.
II. Jury & Placing System
The MAP-IMC 2022 jury will be composed of world-renowned concert artists, musicians, music educators, and professors from internationally renowned music education institutions. For details of the current judging members, please click the “Current Jury” page of the MAP-IMC’s official website.
Each jury score will be evaluated through the video materials presented by each participant. The final selections of winners will be based solely on the video recordings submitted. Judges should be independent. The judges’ votes remain strictly confidential and will not be shared or published. All Jury decisions will be final and irrevocable.
Each jury member gives points (0-25) evaluating the performances according to the following criteria: intonation (0-5), articulation/diction (0-5), rhythmical precision (0-5), interpretation and musicality (0-5), the level of program (0-5). The final score will be the average of the scores given by the individual members of each jury.
The prizes are given according to the following table:
Grand Prix: 25 points
1st Prize: 23-24 points
2nd Prize: 20-22 points
3rd Prize: 17-19 points
Honorable Mention: 14-16 points
Finalist Certificate: under 14 points
III. Certificates & Recommendation Letters
All award certificates of the competition will be open to download from MAP’s Offical Website in PDF format after the Final Results & Awards Announcement Date.
Those participants who have advanced to the final round of the MAP-IMC at least three (3) times with three (3) works in different styles will have the opportunity to obtain a letter of recommendation written by professors from internationally renowned music education institutions for colleges or university application.
IV. Prizes & Awards
- The “MAP-IMC Grand Prix” will be awarded to the winner(s) earning a total score of 25 points, with a cash award of USD $200/person for solo contestants, $400/group (2-4 persons), and $600/group (over 5-person ensemble) for ensemble contestants.
- 1st Prize Winners will be awarded one FREE Masterclass from LAYVIMF (Los Angeles Young Virtuoso International Music Festival) or CIMFEC (California International Music Festival & Music Education Conference) or MWF (MasterWorks Festival) in the following academic year.
- Selected outstanding winners of the “MAP-IMC Grand Prix” and the 1st Prize will have the opportunity to be invited to the United States to participate in the concert performances of internationally renowned music schools/music festivals in the following academic year.
- The Grand Prix, First Prize, Second Prize, Third Prize, Honorable Mentioned, and Finalist certificates will be awarded to the winners of each category.
- All finalists’ instructors/institutions will receive the Certificate of “Honorable Instructor/Institution”.
- The instructor with the largest number of students advanced in and registered the final round will receive the Certificate of “The Outstanding Instructor Award”, the winner of “The Outstanding Instructor Award” for three consecutive competitions will be eligible to join the international jury
- The institution with the largest number of students advanced in and registered the final round will receive the Certificate of “The Outstanding Institution Award”, the winner of “The Outstanding Institution Award” for three consecutive competitions will be invited to sign the Educational Partnership with MAP to open up educational projects.
- Photos, resumes and videos of the winners will be published on the MAP’s official social media platforms around the world.
- Our goal is to provide continuous support to the winners to help them promote and develop their music study and career in international performance stages.
V. Special Thanks To Our Supporters:
AZUSA PACIFIC UNIVERSITY
OLYMPIA YOUTH ORCHESTRA
LOS ANGELES YOUNG VIRTUOSO INTERNATIONAL MUSIC FESTIVAL
CALIFORNIA INTERNATIONAL MUSIC FESTIVAL & MUSIC EDUCATION CONFERENCE
JUST TOUR INTERNATIONAL